We spend approximately one-third of our time in the bedroom. Dust mites and mold – both of which are common indoor allergens – thrive in furniture, carpets and bedding. They love moisture! You can reduce these allergens by taking some simple steps, including regular cleaning and using CERTIFIED asthma & allergy friendly® products.
Protect and maintain your bedding.
- Cover your mattresses and pillows with CERTIFIED allergen-barrier covers. This includes box springs.
- Replace your pillows every two years. After two years, 10% of the weight of your pillow can be from dead dust mites and their droppings. You can’t see them, but they are there.
- Replace your mattresses every 10 years.
- Wash sheets, pillow cases and blankets weekly in hot, soapy water (130°F). Dry them in a hot dryer cycle.
- Vacuum your mattress weekly.
Use CERTIFIED air filters and air cleaners.
- Use them in your central furnace and air conditioning unit. Or use a CERTIFIED portable air cleaner in your bedroom.
Clean your bedroom floors weekly.
- If possible, remove carpet. Dust mites can’t grow on hard surfaces like wood floors.
- If you can’t remove carpet, be sure to vacuum weekly with a CERTIFIED vacuum. Also have your carpets professionally cleaned by a CERTIFIED company a few times per year.
- Remove shoes and clutter to keep your floors clear.
Keep pets out of your bedroom to reduce pet dander in your bedding.
Know when to have your windows open or closed.
- Keep your windows closed during high pollen times or during bad outdoor air quality alerts.
- Check your bedroom windows for condensation (water) during the winter. You may need to open the window for short periods to improve air circulation. Promptly remove any mold growth.
- Use washable window treatments.
Reduce moisture in your bedroom.
- Keep the humidity in your home below 50%.
- Run a fan in your bathroom at least 15 to 20 minutes after showering.
CERTIFIED Bedding Products
Use CERTIFIED asthma & allergy friendly® bedding products because they are proven to reduce your exposure to dust mites, meet standards for comfort and hold up to washing/cleaning requirements. The following bedding products are CERTIFIED:
- Brookstone® Tech sheet set by AQ Textiles*
- Ralph Lauren Healthy Home Great Sleep and Breathewell™ by Hollander
- Bloomingdale’s Luxe Down by Downlite
- Moisture-Wicking Bedding by Wicked Sheets*
- Active Anti Allergen Nano Core by Welspun
- Luxeport Pure Silk Duvets*
- Organic Cotton and Down by Allied Home*
- EverClean Allercot by Indo Count*
- Sleep Number Silk Defense™ by Smart Silk
- Allerzip® by Protect-A-Bed
- National Allergy BedCare by Royal Heritage Home, Inc.*
- Serta Smart Defense pillow
*Check each specific product. Not all products by this brand are CERTIFIED asthma & allergy friendly®.
Visit aafa.org/certified to search for CERTIFIED products and learn more about the asthma& allergy friendly® Certification Program.