Skip to main content

Can I eat canned or frozen fruit if I'm allergic to fresh fruit?

Title Image
Photo by Shelley Pauls on Unsplash
Question
I am allergic to fresh fruit and was wondering if it would be safe to try canned or frozen fruits?
Answer

Oral allergy syndrome is also called food-pollen allergy syndrome. It is a condition that causes immediate itching in the mouth and throat. This happnes after eating RAW fruits or vegetables that cross react with pollens you are allergic to. In this condition, cooked fruit does not cause a reaction. Reactions with canned or packaged fruits would likely be less intense. The risk of severe allergic reaction is rare in oral allergy syndrome. You care learn about oral allergy syndrome at our website here.

Categories
Allergy, Food Allergy, Pollen Allergy
Answered by

Douglas T. Johnston, DO, FAAAAI, FACAAI, is an allergist/clinical immunologist at Carolina Asthma & Allergy Center in Charlotte, North Carolina, and Assistant Professor at Edward Via School of Osteopathic Medicine in Spartanburg, South Carolina. He is a fellow of the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (ACAAI) and the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (AAAAI). He has lectured at national and international medical conferences and has publications in several medical journals, including “Clinical Immunology,” “World Allergy Organization Journal,” “Journal of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology,” “The Journal of the American Medical Association,” and the “New England Journal of Medicine.”

Reviewed and Answered

Add Comment

Comments (1)

Newest · Oldest · Popular

I have full blown allergies to some fruits (apples, peaches, pears, plums, grapes) and I cannot eat them as juices, in jams, pies,  marinades, or in wines or I get really ill-- at the very least vomiting, bad itching and redness, heat everywhere, just bad.. Sometines starts to affect breathing too and I carry epipens abd benadryl along with my asthma inhalers. I avoid these foods strictly (along with nuts). My son has some full blown allergies and some OAS/pollen-food syndrome. Usually cooking the foods helps but not always. It depends on how bad his seasonal allergies are that cross-react with the problem food. We avoid the food afterwards until we think the season might be over with and then try it again. I always tell him, if it makes you feel bad, it is best to avoid it. If it makes you feel really bad or is a full blown allergy, then definitely avoid strictly.  And if you want to see if things change over time, do not test it on your own, we can go do a test or food challenge at an allergists.

S
Last edited by Shea
Link copied to your clipboard.