Skip to main content

Title Image
Question
Can you tell me which states are best to live in for people with allergies --especially for people with allergic fungal sinusitis?
Answer

Allergists typically do not recommend moving to a new location to escape your allergy triggers.

Individuals with allergic rhinitis (allergies) may develop new allergic triggers after moving to a new location. I would recommend discussing your symptoms with a board-certified allergist who can discuss treatment options before considering a move. If you consider moving, spend some time in the new location but understand allergy symptoms can develop after living there for some time.

More information can be found here and here.

Categories
Allergy, Nasal Allergy (Rhinitis)
Answered by

Douglas T. Johnston, DO, FAAAAI, FACAAI, is an allergist/clinical immunologist at Carolina Asthma & Allergy Center in Charlotte, North Carolina, and Assistant Professor at Edward Via School of Osteopathic Medicine in Spartanburg, South Carolina. He is a fellow of the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (ACAAI) and the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (AAAAI). He has lectured at national and international medical conferences and has publications in several medical journals, including “Clinical Immunology,” “World Allergy Organization Journal,” “Journal of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology,” “The Journal of the American Medical Association,” and the “New England Journal of Medicine.”

Reviewed and Answered

Add Comment

Comments (10)

Newest · Oldest · Popular
@smj posted:

What purifier you are using, we did try dyson and one another - micro something, but forget, but just got scared of getting dependent on that.

Hi smj - can you explain what you mean about being dependent on an air purifier? Indoor air quality is impacted by many things inside our homes as well as the outdoor air quality. Indoor air can be 2-5 times more polluted than outdoor air especially if you don't have good ventilation throughout your home.

When choosing an air purifier, it's important to understand the numbers to make sure you get a unit that is right for the size of the room. AAFA has an asthma & allergy friendly® Certification Program that tests household products against strict standards. You can see a list of CERTIFIED air purifiers. Whole house units are great, but the HVAC system needs to be running for it to work.

Kathy P

Thank you Mink Naro. What kind of home test are you suggesting and also would you kindly post what purifier you are using, we did try dyson and one another - micro something, but forget, but just got scared of getting dependent on that, I am guessing my home could certainly have mold, but how do i get it tested, once we got HVAC tested and they scared us so much, installed something centrally, which we are not even sure if it is working, he did not leave any box, receipt nothing, this was through Sears and a horrible experience

S

SMJ  -  I would not recommend you to move, because whatever you are allergic to could be in the area you want to move.  Have you had your home tested to see what you are breathing.  I had the same issue and I too removed every chemical from the home but it kept getting worse.  When I finally got my home tested, I had mold in the walls and in HVAC that was circulating all over the house, dust mites in the beddings and furniture and also the VOCs (volatile organic compounds)  from furniture, even hardwood floors are treated with chemicals.  I found an Active purifier that eliminates everything I was allergic to from the air and on surfaces, it also penetrates through crevices of furniture and beddings and now I'm free from allergies and sinuses.

Mink Naro

I tried everything for my allergies and asthma flareups - like got rid of pets, changed hardwood all through, changed all cleaning and other products to chemical free / organic. the only thing that's left is moving out of this home and it has been under radar for the past 4 years, but not sure where to - or just moving out of this home might even help

S

@Grg, You're right on both accounts. The further a place is from a coast (or large lake), the less humid it's likely to be.

Regarding the "honeymoon period", this is entirely possible. Many folks with asthma and/or allergies experience atopy. This can lead to developing allergies (that you didn't have before) to triggers in the new environment.

JR

The Humidity is lower in the Midwest. The western part of the Midwest. I've been monitoring the climate. I think this will help me. My allergies are stronger in the fall. I figured moving to that area would be good. In addition isn't there something called the 'honeymoon period!'? Kind of like: it takes a while for new allergies to start up? I'll keep my home in michigan and just leave once or twice a year.

Grg
Link copied to your clipboard.