Advocating for people with asthma and allergies is a great way to spread awareness during National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month. We invite you to join us for Local Advocacy Action Day!
On May 9, we ask you to help us tell your state legislators what people with asthma and allergies need to live full, healthy lives. More than 100 million Americans have asthma and/or allergies. And some people may have one or both of these conditions for which there is no cure.
- About 25.5 million in the U.S. have asthma
- About 20.3 million in the U.S. have food allergies
- About 80.3 million in the U.S. have seasonal allergies
These numbers paint a picture of how many people in the U.S. are managing asthma and allergies. But they don’t show the overall impact these diseases have on people and communities.
We need lawmakers to consider our health in all policies, not just health care policies. We need local community leaders to take action too. People with asthma and allergies in the United States need the following to live healthy and full lives:
- Affordable, accessible, quality health care
- Clean air
- Healthy homes
- Safe food
- Financial stability
AAFA advocates often on behalf of people with asthma and allergies on various issues. For example, AAFA has been actively advocating for cleaner car emissions standards to fight air pollution.
- April 21, 2023 – AAFA presented at a congressional staff briefing on Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) newly proposed vehicle emissions standards, highlighting the health benefits for people with asthma and allergies.
- May 2, 2023 – AAFA testified before the EPA in support of strong phase 3 greenhouse gas standards for heavy-duty vehicles. We highlighted the health benefits of reducing harmful pollutants from trucks and their greenhouse gas emissions to address climate change.
One way you can take action today is by contacting your state legislators using our simple tool below. By filling out this form, you will send a pre-drafted email to your state legislators to help raise awareness in your local community. You can edit this email to add your personal story and share why you advocate.
Sign up to receive AAFA’s Advocacy Action Alerts!
Would you like to help us advocate on future issues that affect people with asthma and allergies? Join our online community. Not only will you receive Advocacy Action Alerts, but you’ll also be able to talk with other people managing asthma and allergies on our support forums. You’ll also get alerts about other news about managing your conditions, research, and more.