Update 11/15/2023 - GSK provided this statement to AAFA regarding the discontinuation.
"As part of our commitment to be ambitious for patients, we launched an authorized generic for Flovent HFA (fluticasone propionate inhalation aerosol) in May 2022 and intend to launch an authorized generic for Flovent Diskus (fluticasone propionate inhalation powder) in October 2023.
These GSK manufactured authorized generics will provide patients in the US with potentially lower cost alternatives of these medically important products. We recognize that patients have a number of options in the therapeutic area and therefore remain committed to ensuring the affordability of our medicines.
Effective January 1, 2024 and subsequent to the availability of these authorized generics, GSK will discontinue manufacturing branded Flovent HFA (all strengths) and branded Flovent Diskus (all strengths) for the US market. It’s important to understand that the transition from branded to authorized generics will not have an impact on our ability to supply the market and we expect minimal disruption for patients.
The authorized generic version of Flovent HFA is for maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy in adult and pediatric patients aged 4 years and older. The authorized generic contains the same medicine, in the same familiar device, and with the same instructions for use as Flovent HFA. The authorized generic may potentially be a lower cost alternative to patients, depending on their insurance coverage and benefit design.
The authorized generic version of Flovent Diskus will be for maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy in patients aged 4 years and older. The authorized generic will contain the same medicine, in the same familiar device, with the same instructions for use as Flovent Diskus. The authorized generic may potentially be a lower cost alternative to patients, depending on their insurance coverage and benefit design.
It's important to keep in mind that the list price is not the price most people usually pay as it does not include discounts, rebates, and other price adjustments to wholesalers or any other customer.
The authorized generics will be manufactured by GSK and distributed by Prasco LLC."
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is discontinuing production of Flovent HFA (fluticasone propionate) and Flovent Diskus. Flovent HFA and Flovent Diskus are inhaled corticosteroid medicines used as a controller medicine to treat asthma.
GSK notified the FDA of this decision on June 2, 2023. The last date the product will be available for ordering is Dec. 31, 2023. GSK believes a supply of these products will be gone by early 2024.
If you use Flovent HFA or Flovent Diskus, here are some steps you can take:
- Refill your current Flovent prescription as soon as possible.
- Talk with your doctor about other asthma medicines. Some brand name options may include ArmonAir Digihaler and Arnuity Ellipta.
- ArmonAir Digihaler is an alternative for Flovent Diskus. The formulation is the same but have slightly different doses available.
- Arnuity Ellipta is an inhaled steroid but not a direct substitute for Flovent HFA or Flovent Diskus. Check with your doctor on what dose to take if you are prescribed this medicine.
- Consider an authorized generic.
- A generic fluticasone metered dose inhaler is available by RPK pharmaceuticals with the same doses as Flovent HFA.
- Check with your insurance to find out what other asthma medicines they cover.
- Learn more about different asthma medicines and how they help you manage symptoms.
Never miss an alert about asthma medicines, sign up for notifications.Send Me Alerts