The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) hosted a webinar on Thursday, March 30, 2017, about Health Insurance 101 for People with Asthma and Allergies.
Our guest speaker was Prue Fitzpatrick, MPH, a member of the Board of Directors for AAFA. She has a background in health care policy, having been involved with recent health reform policy development and implementation, as well as experience working within the insurance industry.
Ms. Fitzpatrick discussed:
- The terms you need to know to navigate your health insurance options
- How to find out if your services and medicines will be covered by your insurance plan
- What is important to consider when you have asthma or allergies
- How you can advocate to improve your access to health care
Ms. Fitzpatrick also answered questions such as:
- How can I find out if my state has an insurance mandate to require coverage on certain treatments?
- Does health insurance cover a spacer?
- How do I get my insurance plan to cover biologic treatment (Nucala, Cinqair or Xolair) for asthma?
She also discussed some ways that people may be able to save money on their asthma and allergy medicines.
The audience also learned how AAFA promotes national public policy and advocacy initiatives that improve and protect the quality of life and treatment options for those affected by asthma and allergies.
Support AAFA’s policy initiatives by becoming an advocate.
Join AAFA’s Action Network to:
- Track bills
- Contact your legislators
- Make your voice heard by taking action on issues important to you
AAFA's webinar series is a part of our independent education program. This webinar is made possible in part through a grant from Mylan Specialty, L.P.
Regional AAFA Chapters
Our regional chapters can help you find local medication assistance information.
Asthma Support Forum
Managing allergies and asthma can be tough on your own. Our private community provides an opportunity to share experiences with other people and stay in touch with the latest news about asthma and allergies.
Kids With Food Allergies Support Forums
Join the Kids With Food Allergies (KFA) community and follow our blog for the latest news on food allergy research and treatments. Our private community provides an opportunity to connect with other families and caregivers. KFA is a division of AAFA.