If you have asthma or atopic dermatitis (eczema), you know that medicine isn’t always enough to help you manage your conditions. You also need knowledge and support to help you avoid your triggers and understand your symptoms.
New digital health technologies can help you take steps to understand your conditions and improve your health. For example, digital, or smart, inhalers and sensors that attach to inhalers offer new ways to improve asthma management. Telehealth and telemedicine allow people to see a doctor virtually. Mobile apps and wearable devices make it possible to track and analyze health data. These digital health technologies can help:
- Empower people with asthma and atopic dermatitis to practice better self-management
- Gather real-world data to help people with asthma and atopic dermatitis have informed chats with their doctors
- Track medicine use
- Monitor poorly controlled asthma and atopic dermatitis and encourage better use of treatment plans
- Detect changes in air quality, sleep, and talk patterns
- Tailor treatments for each person
- Fast-track innovations in care
Apps, devices, and other health technologies are becoming more widely available to people with asthma and atopic dermatitis. This will shape the future of health care and meet the needs of the asthma and allergy community. Text-based programs, like TakeControl and Ditch the Itch, can help you manage asthma and eczema. Med-IQ® offers these interactive programs.
If you have a phone with the ability to send and receive text messages, you can use these programs. (Text and data charges may apply depending on your cell phone plan.)
How Does the TakeControl Program for Asthma Work?
To use the TakeControl program for asthma, follow these steps before Aug. 31, 2022:
- Text the word CONTROL to 401-234-0883.
- TakeControl will text you some questions about your asthma.
- Text back with your answers. You’ll get customized text message tips based on your answers. The messages will give you some ideas about steps you can take to better manage your asthma and how to work with your doctor.
- TakeControl will check in with you once a month for up to six months. Each month, the program will ask you how you’re doing with your asthma and update your text message tips.
You can stop the program at any time by texting STOP.
How Does the Ditch the Itch Program for Atopic Dermatitis Work?
To take part in the Ditch the Itch program for atopic dermatitis, follow these steps by Oct. 31, 2022:
- Text the word ITCH to 401-214-9651.
- Ditch the Itch will text you some questions about your atopic dermatitis.
- Text back with your answers. You’ll get customized text message tips based on your answers. The messages will give you some tips you can do yourself and how to talk with your doctor.
- Ditch the Itch will check in with you once a month for up to six months. Each month, the program will ask you how you’re doing with your atopic dermatitis and update your text message tips.
Talking to other people who are managing asthma and eczema can also be helpful when dealing with these conditions. For additional support and encouragement, join our free online community. You’ll also receive news and updates relating to asthma, eczema, and other allergic conditions.