Skip to main content

Ask the Allergist

Ask the Allergist

Can I Eat Fish Like Mahi Mahi, Grouper, or Tuna with a Shellfish Allergy?

Title Image
Photo by Kat_ G on Unsplash
I have a shellfish and tree nut allergy. I am going on vacation to Hawaii. I regularly eat fish like Salmon, Cod, Swordfish, and haddock. I’m wondering if it's safe to try other fish like Mahi Mahi, Grouper, or Tuna while on vacation.

Patients with a shellfish allergy can have allergies to many types of shellfish. Patients with a tree nut allergy can be allergic to different types of tree nuts. Patients with shellfish and tree nut allergies are not at an increased risk for an allergy to fish.

With your history of eating different types of fish, without allergic reactions, you will likely tolerate eating the other fish you mentioned. It would be helpful to discuss this with your allergist, in the event that allergy testing has been done for these types of fish.

Food Allergy, Shellfish Allergy, Tree Nut Allergy
Answered by

John M. James, MD, is a board-certified allergist. He is also President of Food Allergy Consulting and Education Services, LLC. He has worked as a medical specialist in the field of allergy, asthma, and immunology for over 30 years. Dr. James received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Arkansas and his Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Tennessee. He is board certified by the American Board of Allergy and Immunology.

Reviewed and Answered

Add Comment

Comments (2)

Newest · Oldest · Popular

You have to be careful to ask how your food would be prepared: contact with surfaces that have been used with known allergens, oils used in preparation, etc.  I was recently on Maui and every restaurant was so accommodating and helpful.  They seemed to really be informed and up to date wit’s procedures. Some of these were higher end restaurants, but still….  

Link copied to your clipboard.