Skip to main content

Title Image
Photo by Vaporesso on Unsplash
Is it possible to get contact allergies from another person who uses a product you are allergic to? My partner uses a vape. I have been dealing with a rash, similar to rosacea, but around my mouth.

Yes, this can happen. It would be very helpful to know the actual ingredients in the vaping product that your partner is using.

Contact allergic reactions can happen with topical exposure to the allergen or irritant on the skin around the mouth by contact. This can cause a transfer of an allergen or irritant to the skin. This results in a contact allergic reaction.

It would also be helpful for you to see an allergist or dermatologist. They’ll assess your skin rash and determine if it is allergic contact dermatitis. A clinical history and if needed, allergy patch skin testing can be done to help make a diagnosis.

Recommendations on what to avoid and how to treat these skin rashes could be made by the specialist.

Allergy, Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema)
Answered by

John M. James, MD, is a board-certified allergist. He is also President of Food Allergy Consulting and Education Services, LLC. He has worked as a medical specialist in the field of allergy, asthma, and immunology for over 30 years. Dr. James received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Arkansas and his Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Tennessee. He is board certified by the American Board of Allergy and Immunology.

Reviewed and Answered

Add Comment

Comments (0)

Link copied to your clipboard.