Skip to main content

Ask the Allergist

Ask the Allergist

How do I know if I have allergies or asthma?

AAFA's "Ask the Allergist" is a free service provided by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA). Our allergist will answer your questions about asthma and allergies. We provide only general advice about managing asthma or allergies, medicines and treatments. "Ask the Allergist" does not answer questions about specific consumer products. This information is not a substitute for medical advice from your physician. Always talk with your doctor before changing your asthma or allergy management plan.

You can submit your own question to "Ask the Allergist."

Title Image
How might I get diagnosed with asthma or allergies? How can I avoid symptoms?

A board-certified allergist can help perform asthma and allergy testing. Lung function testing, like spirometry, is used to diagnose asthma.

Allergy testing can include a skin prick test, patch test, or blood test.
For both conditions, your doctor will conduct a physical exam. They will also ask questions about your medical history and symptoms.

Taking asthma and/or allergy medicines as prescribed will help avoid symptoms. Identifying your triggers and developing strategies to reduce them will also help. Both should be part of your management plan. Work with your doctor to find a treatment plan that works best for you.  

Find more information on asthma and allergies:  

Allergy, Asthma, Diagnosis
Answered by

Douglas T. Johnston D.O. FAAAAI, FACAAI

Reviewed and Answered

Add Comment

Comments (0)

Link copied to your clipboard.