Renegade’s SWEAT-X Free and Clear Laundry Detergent removes pet and dust mite allergens with fragrance-free formula.
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) and Allergy Standards Limited (ASL) has announced that Renegade’s SWEAT-X Free and Clear is the first laundry detergent to earn the asthma & allergy friendly® certification.
When used to wash bedding and clothing, CERTIFIED asthma & allergy friendly® laundry detergent can help people reduce asthma and allergy triggers, which contributes to a healthy home environment.
The asthma & allergy friendly® Certification Program, an independent program established in the United States by AAFA and ASL, helps consumers identify products for the home that are more suitable for people with asthma and allergies. Products undergo physical and chemical testing to ensure they reduce allergen exposure and limit pollutants in the air. The certification mark is awarded only to those products that meet the criteria.
The Laundry Detergent Certification Standard tests fabric samples in an environmentally controlled chamber to simulate real world conditions, using cat allergens and dust mite allergens which are added to fabric for an incubation period. The samples are then washed in the laundry detergent, and upon completion of the wash, the fabric must show a reduction in allergen levels of 95% or greater.
Renegade’s SWEAT-X Free and Clear Laundry Detergent has demonstrated the following:
- Reduces over 95% of allergens, including pet dander and dust mites, from fabrics washed with the detergent
- Extremely low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions when the detergent is used
- Each ingredient has been reviewed to ensure that there are no added fragrances and that any chemicals with allergenic or sensitizing properties are either absent or at suitably low levels
“We congratulate SWEAT-X Free and Clear detergent on earning the rigorous asthma & allergy friendly® Certification,” shared Kenneth Mendez, CEO and president of AAFA. “The bar for certification is high, but the power of our scientific testing is in service to our asthma and allergy community. Products that are CERTIFIED asthma & allergy friendly® provide consumers with a trusted solution.”
Washing your laundry regularly can help you have a healthier home
Dust mites, pet dander, and pollen can build up in fabric items in your home, like clothes, bedding, curtains, and throws. If you wash these items regularly, you can reduce your exposure to these allergens.
Here are some ways washing your laundry regularly can help you maintain a healthy home:
- Wash your bedding weekly in hot water (130 F).
- Wash stuffed toys once a week in hot water as well. If you can’t wash them, put them in the freezer in a sealed plastic bag for 24 hours, and then tumble dry them to remove dead dust mites.
- Wash your clothes regularly, and before wearing them if they have been stored for a long time.
- Keep the humidity below 50% in your laundry room to prevent mold growth.
- Leave the washing machine door open to allow it to dry out between uses.
- Make sure your dryer is properly vented and clean the lint trap after each use.
- Avoid using bleach or heavily scented dryer sheets, detergents, and fabric softeners as these items can be asthma triggers.
- Use CERTIFIED asthma & allergy friendly® laundry detergent.
"Consumers want to be confident that a laundry detergent can remove allergens like dust mite and pet allergens,” Dr. John McKeon, CEO of ASL, explains. “Laundry detergents can contain irritant or allergenic ingredients that can impact sensitive airways. I am thrilled the allergy aware consumer can now select a detergent that addresses these issues, has passed our rigorous scientific standards, and is CERTIFIED asthma & allergy friendly®.”
Renegade’s SWEAT-X Free and Clear Laundry Detergent has met these standards and is CERTIFIED to reduce allergens and irritants and contribute to a healthier indoor environment.
“Renegade Brands is proud to join the family of products CERTIFIED asthma & allergy friendly® with our SWEAT-X Free and Clear Laundry Detergent,” said Bill Sherman, CEO of Renegade Brands, Inc. “Our mission has always been to develop and produce the highest quality products and SWEAT-X Free and Clear Detergent is no exception. We are honored to be recognized not only for our product’s efficacy but also for its positive impact in creating a healthier home.”
Visit aafa.org/certified to search for CERTIFIED products. There you can also learn more about the asthma & allergy friendly® Certification Program.